Welcome to the Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance (WELO) information page. Described below are the various requirements that must be met throughout the project development and construction process. Should you have any questions, please contact our Customer Service line (714) 667-8888.
- Review of projects for landscape requirements
- Application of Conditions of Approval (Discretionary Permit Process)
- Landscape / Irrigation Plan
- Landscape / Planting Plan
Construction Site Inspections
- Implementation of landscape plan
- Irrigation and Planting Inspections
The County’s WELO Program as adopted on March 14, 2016 enforces State mandated water efficient landscape ordinance regulations that apply to construction projects in the unincorporated area. These regulations are intended to regulate irrigation water efficiently for landscape. The County has established requirements that owners, developers, contractors and builders must meet in order to achieve compliance. These WELO requirements have been integrated into the project application/permit approval process and construction site inspection system. These requirements include the following:
- Non-exempt projects must prepare and submit a project specific Landscape Plan (LS) prior to the issuance of any grading or building permit. The LS shall have the appropriate irrigation system that complies with WELO requirements. The irrigation plan that will be constructed or utilized on the site and maintained during the life of the project.
Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance